THE HISTORY OF 1ST FETCHAM SCOUT GROUP
Early Years 1941-1959
It all began on May 21st 1941 when a party of evacuated school boys held a preliminary meeting. There were two patrols, namely Wolves and Bulldogs, each of which held five members. They had no specific H.Q. and took it in turns to meet in each other’s houses.
In 1942 the Scouts were off to camp, their equipment loaded onto a trek cart.
In 1943 the first cub pack was formed, but little happened again until 1949 after the 2nd World War.
Festival of Britain Camp 1951
1953 the Coronation Gang Show
In 1954 The Group-was granted permission by the Council to plan a hut in the corner of Cock Lane Recreation Field and on the 24th November 1956, Mr. Francis V. Cowie, ACC launched the HQ building scheme.
In March 1957 Lord McCorquodale cut the ribbon to the front door of the present HQ and declared it officially opened.
The Group went from strength to strength and in the early 1960’s the waiting list for the Cubs was decidedly too long and a new pack was formed. The two packs, Downs and Mole Pack formed their first football team and did very well.
In the Scouts, a new patrol, Kestrels, joined the original patrols of Buffaloes, Peacocks, Springboks and Falcons.
Downs Pack 1979
We now have 3 Beaver Colonies, 3 Cub Packs, 2 Scout Troops and an Explorer Unit.